We’ve been snowed in for three days. Ugh! It’s finally starting to warm up and slowly melt away. I was able to make a very quick run to the grocery store Friday just as it was starting to snow. I didn’t have a list and I wanted to get home as soon as possible. I pretty much ran through the grocery store, throwing whatever looked good in my cart. I typically plan my meals out in advance but did not have time. I had to get creative with meals but sometimes the best meals are served when this happens. This yummy soup is the result of needing to get creative with what I had on hand. It’s delicious, filling and loaded with goodness. Enjoy!
I’ve been on a real soup kick lately. When the snowpocalipse started Friday I knew some soups and comfort food were in our near future. This soup I came up fairly quickly as I wanted something filling and nutritious. Let’s get down to business.
Start by chopping your celery and carrots into similar size pieces. Chop your onions and garlic. Don’t forget the kale and parsley too!
In a large pot over medium-high heat sauté the mirepoix(celery, onion & carrot) & garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
For my broth today I’m using the fabulous better than bouillon. I love it. I have most of the flavors. It’s the best! Trust me on this one. For six cups of water I use about 2 tbsps. I like to add the mixture to the water after its already in the pan. So add your water than your chicken bouillon paste. I also like to add a little onion & garlic powder for extra flavor. Totally optional but I highly recommend it. Next bring your liquid up to a boil. Add your tortellini & kale.
Bring the liquid to a boil again after you add the pasta & kale. Reduce to simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the tortellini is cooked through. Garnish with parsley and serve. I season with salt & pepper to taste after the addition of each of the ingredients. Make sure you taste the finally product before you serve.
This soup is so flavorful and yummy. The creamy, cheesy tortellinis melt in your mouth.
The vegetables & parsley give it the perfect flavor. This is the perfect bowl of soup for a snowed in day.
Before the recipe I’ll leave you with a picture of Mason loving the snow!
- 1 cup chopped celery(about 3 celery stalks)
- 1 cup chopped carrots(about 3 carrots)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp. better than bouillon chicken stock paste
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 8 oz. cheese tortellini
- 2 cup chopped kale
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Saute your celery, carrots, onion and garlic over medium high heat in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Add your water, chicken bouillon paste, garlic & onion powder.
- Bring to a boil then add your tortellini & kale. Bring back up to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for about 12 minutes or until the tortellini is tender.
- Add more salt & pepper if needed. Garnish with parsley then enjoy!
- *Cut the celery and carrots as uniform as possible for more even cooking times.
- **You may substitute homemade chicken stock if you'd like.
- ***You could easily make this recipe vegetarian by using the vegetable bouillon, which is delicious.