Active Time: 15 Mins
Total Time: 30 Mins
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 1 chimichanga)
This lightened take on chimichangas only tastes indulgent. Perfect for lunch or dinner, the golden, toasted tortilla gives way to a creamy, rich, and chewy interior. For an even crispier exterior, feel free to rotate the burrito more than once. We used Ole Extreme High Fiber, Low Carb wheat wraps—you can find similar wraps at the grocery store. These can easily be prepared in bulk ahead of time. All you have to do when you want to eat them is brush them with butter, air-fry, and serve.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely diced onion (from 1 onion), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1(15-oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1(4.5-oz.) can diced green chiles
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (from 1 lime), divided
- 2plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1jalapeño chile, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (optional)
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 4(10-in.) low carb tortillas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup white queso dip, warmed
How to Make It
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high. Add 1/2 cup of the onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until translucent, 3 minutes. Stir in beans, chiles, water, and cumin; cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture has slightly thickened and warmed through, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken and 2 teaspoons of the lime juice; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir together tomatoes, jalapeño, remaining onion and lime juice, and if desired, cilantro in a small bowl; set aside.
Place 2 tablespoons of the cheese along the center of each tortilla. Divide chicken filling over cheese, and top with 2 more tablespoons cheese. Tuck sides of tortillas partially over filling, and roll to form a burrito. Brush burritos with melted butter.
Preheat air-fryer to 400°F for 2 minutes. Place 2 burritos in at a time, and cook 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Repeat with remaining 2 burritos. Top each with 2 tablespoons of the queso dip, and about 1 tablespoon of the tomato mixture.
Source: Read Full Article