Photo by Chelsea Kyle, Prop Styling by Nathaniel James, Food Styling by Anna Hampton
This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
- Makes about 5 cups
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 large onion
- 1 pound boiling potatoes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Chop bacon and in a large heavy saucepan cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, reserving fat in pan.
- While bacon is cooking, chop onion. Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Cook onion in reserved fat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. In a measuring cup stir together flour and water and add to onion with potatoes and broth. Simmer mixture 5 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender. Add wine and simmer 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually stir in Cheddar (do not let boil).
- Divide soup among 4 bowls and sprinkle with bacon and chives.
Source: Read Full Article