Active time:25 min.Total time:1 hour, 15 min.
Yield: Serves 8 (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
Get all your New Year’s good luck in one dish with this casserole full of bacon, peas, rice, and collards. The mixture of soft rice with tooth collards and peas, plus chopped bacon makes for a nice variety of textures. It’s great on its own, but it’s also a great side dish for fried chicken or pork chops.
- 4thick-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion (from 1 medium [8 oz.] onion)
- 2 cups chopped collard greens (from 1 [14-oz.] bunch)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4(8.8-oz.) pkg. pre-cooked microwaveable white rice
- 1(15-oz.) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato (from 1 [4-oz.] tomato)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions (from 2 scallions)
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until crispy, 5 to 6 minutes. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add collards; cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in vinegar; remove from heat.
Transfer bacon mixture to a large bowl; stir in rice, peas, stock, salt, and eggs until combined. Pour mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in preheated oven until liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with tomato and scallions.
Source: Read Full Article