Active Time: 25 MinsTotal Time1 Hour 45 Mins
Yield: Serves 12
Move over, peach cobbler, we have a new way to enjoy the South’s favorite stone fruit. Boozy peaches pair with rich and creamy dulce de leche to create a new twist on the strawberry shortcake. Omit the bourbon if you wish and top the biscuits with sliced, fresh peaches.
- 4 cups fresh ripe peaches, thinly sliced(from about 3 to 4 peaches)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar, divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface and kneading
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups whole buttermilk
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. cold heavy cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar (or coarse sugar)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1vanilla bean pod, split
- 1/2 cup jarred dulce de leche sauce, warmed
How to Make It
Stir together peaches, lemon juice, bourbon, and 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar in a medium bowl. Cover; refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or use fingertips) until mixture resembles peas. Add buttermilk, and stir gently with a spatula or wooden spoon until well combined and shaggy. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until dough just comes together, 2 to 3 times. Pat dough with lightly floured palms to 1 1/2-inch thickness (do not use a rolling pin). Cut out biscuits using a 2 1/2-inch round cutter, gathering and patting scraps once more to make 12 biscuits.
Place biscuits about 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Brush tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons of the heavy cream; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes.
Place powdered sugar in bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into powdered sugar; add remaining 2 cups heavy cream. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, 4 to 5 minutes. Split biscuits; place on plates or a large platter. Spoon peach mixture onto bottom halves of biscuits, drizzle with warmed dulce de leche. Dollop with whipped cream; cover with biscuit tops.
Source: Read Full Article