225g plain flour
400g caster sugar
70g cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
2 flax eggs (see notes for instructions)
250ml almond milk with 1 tsp white wine vinegar
115g dairy free spread, melted
1 tbsp vanilla extract
100ml strong coffee, still hot
1. Preheat oven to 180c/160c fan/350/gas mark 4, then grease two 18 cm cake tins and line the bottom of each with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl add the flour, cocoa, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Give it is good stir until well combined.
3. Whisk together the flax eggs, milk, melted spread and vanilla and pour into the dry ingredients. Whisk until velvety, then pour in the hot coffee and mix in with a spatula
4. Pour the batter into the cake pans and bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes. A skewer should come out clean.
5. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for a while, before tipping carefully onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
6. Fill with dairy free chocolate frosting and top with whipped coconut milk (leave a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight, pour out the coconut water and whisk the solids with a little icing sugar.) Finish with a few raspberries.
Note: Flax eggs – To make flax eggs, grind or whizz flax seeds or linseeds to a fine powder. In a bowl mix 2 tbsp of the flax powder with 6 tbsp of water. Leave in the fridge to thicken for half an hour, then use in place of two regular eggs to bind.
Source: Read Full Article