This feature is not available with your current cookie settings.
You can update your privacy settings to enable this content.Please enable all cookies to use this feature.
- Prep 30 min
- Total3 hr0 min
Our classic apple pie takes a shortcut with easy Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crust! Baked with a filling of fresh apples and warm spices, there is as much simple joy in preparing this pie as there is in eating it. Each bite makes your friends and family feel warm, cozy and like they’re wrapped in a hug. Whether you bake it for a holiday, a potluck or as a special weekend dessert, this timeless pie recipe is guaranteed to spark joy.
box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
cups thinly sliced, peeled apples (6 medium)
tablespoons all-purpose flour
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground nutmeg
tablespoon lemon juice
- 1Heat oven to 425°F. Place 1 pie crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie plate. Press firmly against side and bottom.
- 2In large bowl, gently mix filling ingredients; spoon into crust-lined pie plate. Top with second crust. Wrap excess top crust under bottom crust edge, pressing edges together to seal; flute. Cut slits or shapes in several places in top crust.
- 3Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cover edge of crust with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil after first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool on cooling rack at least 2 hours before serving.
- Let the pie cool for at least 2 hours before cutting into it. The filling will thicken as it cools, making it easier to slice.
- The flour tossed with the fresh apples turns their juices into a thickened, spiced sauce during baking. Mix it with the sugar and spices before tossing the mixture with the apples.
- Two (21-oz.) cans more fruit apple pie filling can be used if you’re short on time.
- To make Caramel-Pecan Apple Pie: right after removing the pie from the oven, drizzle with 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping. Sprinkle with 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped pecans.
- To freeze Baked Pie: Assemble and bake pie as directed in recipe. Cool completely. Wrap pie tightly with plastic wrap. Place pie in a 2-gallon freezer storage bag; seal. Freeze up to 4 months. To reheat, thaw pie in refrigerator overnight. Remove bag and plastic wrap. Cover with foil, bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until warm.
More About This Recipe
- This apple pie recipe is already perfect, but if you want it to look as perfect as it tastes, we have a few expert recommendations for you. First, refrigerated pie crusts should be baked in glass pie plates. A dark pan will cause too much browning while a shiny pan will prevent your pie from achieving the golden-brown crust that makes apple pie irresistible. Speaking of overbrowning, to prevent your crust from burning, cover the edges with strips of foil 20 minutes into the bake time. When you use refrigerated pie crust, you must allow the dough to soften before you use it. Otherwise you will have difficulty pressing the dough and getting it to adhere to the pie plate. If you don’t carefully press the dough into the plate, it will retract back to its original shape. Perfecting the crust is arguably the most important part of pie making. But the filling is the other half of the equation. Lucky for you, we have a few tricks up our sleeve for that, too. Once you’ve mastered this easy apple pie recipe, you can find more in our apple pie recipe collection [https://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/dish-type/pies/apple], which includes time-tested favorites, modern new twists and heirloom inspiration.
Source: Read Full Article