"Using pantry items plus a couple of fresh items, you can create a cheesy, comforting casserole your whole family will love. Though it does include RO*TEL® and a can of mild green chile peppers, it’s not spicy, but if you like the heat, choose hot RO*TEL® and peppers. This pantry chicken casserole reheats well, too, but I had to hide it, or there would have been no night #2! A crusty bread and a green salad complete this easy pantry meal."
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in processed cheese food, diced tomatoes and juice, diced tomatoes and green chiles with juice, and mild chile peppers. Cook and stir until cheese has melted, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cooked pasta and chicken. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Cook’s Notes:
- You may substitute margarine for butter, any shelf-stable processed cheese food for Velveeta®, and two 12 1/2-ounce cans cooked, flaked chicken for leftover chicken.
- You can use two 4-ounce cans sliced mushrooms instead of fresh mushrooms–just add them when you add the tomatoes.
Per Serving: 502 calories;24.1 g fat;42 g carbohydrates;29.7 g protein;92 mg cholesterol;949 mg sodium.Full nutrition
Source: Read Full Article