Active Time: 30 MinsTotal Time35 Mins
Yield: Serves 6
Everyone will be excited to dig into this comforting skillet supper. Look for ravioli in the refrigerated section—our Test Kitchen prefers Buitoni brand. Substitute ground turkey or chicken for the beef, or replace the spinach with Swiss chard leaves.
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1medium-size red onion, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic (from 3 medium garlic cloves)
- 1(28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1(20-oz.) pkg. refrigerated four-cheese ravioli (such as Buitoni)
- 1(5-oz.) pkg. baby spinach
- 4 ounces pre-shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella (about 1 cup)
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (about 1⁄2 cup)
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
How to Make It
Preheat oven to broil with rack 9 inches from heat. Place a 12-inch cast-iron skillet on stove-top over medium-high. Add beef; cook, stirring often, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove beef; drain and set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
Heat oil in skillet over medium-high; add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in crushed tomatoes, stock, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and ravioli. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer until ravioli are tender, about 8 minutes. Uncover and return cooked beef to skillet. Stir in half of spinach, and cook just until wilted. Repeat with remaining spinach. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan.
Broil in preheated oven until cheese is melted and golden, about 6 minutes. Remove from oven, and garnish with fresh basil.
Source: Read Full Article