- 500 g ground beef
- 100 g ground pork (fatty is OK)
- Optional: Substitute with 600g ground meat substitute, like Beyond Beef
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 tbsp lemongrass, minced and pounded
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp crushed roasted peanuts
- 4 tsp soy sauce (Maggi seasoning) or 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp mushroom powder (chicken bouillon could work)
- Optional: 1/2 tbsp Vietnamese spiced liquor (rượu mai quế lộ)
- Crushed roasted peanuts
- Scallions sautéed in a bit of oil (or nuked in the microwave)
- Mixed fish sauce or vegan substitute
Mix your meat with seasonings thoroughly, and then roll approximately 3-4 teaspoons of the mixture in each betel leaf.
In a preheated air-fryer, cook in small batches at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes or until meat mixture is cooked. Be sure to coat the leaves in a thin layer of oil, if you did not roll them tightly enough. Five minute usually works for vegan mixtures.
In an oven preheated to 375, baking them on a rack (or skewered on a stick), you may need 10 minutes.
On a pan on medium heat with a bit of vegetable or canola oil, you can pan fry them to completion as well. The picture of the end-result has half of the rolls pan-fried, and the other half in an air-fryer.
Source: Read Full Article