Photo by Joseph De Leo, Food Styling by Anna Stockwell
These 10-ingredient gluten-free and vegan burgers are crisped up like a smash burger in the oven. We would never say that you HAVE to put cheese on them, but let’s just say we highly recommend it.
- Makes 8
- Active Time
- 35 minutes
- Total Time
- 1 hour, plus chilling
- 1/2 cup red or black quinoa, rinsed
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 (14.5-oz.) cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, trimmed, cut into 1/4" pieces
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 1/4 cup oat flour or all-purpose flour
- 8 slices sharp cheddar or vegan cheese
- Mayonnaise, mustard, hamburger buns, shredded iceberg lettuce, and sliced pickles (for serving; optional)
- Cook quinoa in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8–10 minutes. Drain well and let cool at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add chickpeas (make sure they are well drained) and cook, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned, 8–10 minutes. Add garlic powder and paprika and toss a few times to coat. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, tahini, miso, and 1/4 cup oil to bowl with chickpeas and mash with a potato masher or fork to combine. Add quinoa and flour and mash until mixture holds together when squeezed in your hand. Taste and season with salt if needed. Form into 8 patties and arrange on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Freeze until firm, about 2 hours. At this point, patties can be baked or frozen for up to three months. If not baking right away,transfer to resealable freezer bags or layer in an airtight container with sheets of parchment between patties.
- Preheat oven to 425°.Drizzle however many frozen patties you want to cook generously with oil on both sides and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake patties until browned and crisp, 25–30 minutes. Place a slice of cheese on top of each patty and bake until cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Spread mayonnaise and mustard on cut sides of buns (if using). Place burgers on bottom buns. Top with lettuce and pickles (if using) and close up burgers.
- Do Ahead: Patties can be made 3 months ahead. Transfer to a resealable freezer bag and freeze.
Source: Read Full Article