This feature is not available with your current cookie settings.
You can update your privacy settings to enable this content.Please enable all cookies to use this feature.
- Prep 15 min
- Total30 min
It’s just not a party without mini crescent dogs at the table! These big-batch, crowd-pleasing pigs in a blanket are ideal for any occasion and come together with just two ingredients—Pillsbury™ crescent rolls and cocktail-size sausages—and 15 minutes of prep. Each bite is buttery, flaky, savory and perfectly dippable, making them a great appetizer for guests of all ages.
cans (8 oz each) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent rolls
cocktail-size smoked link sausages or hot dogs (from two 14-oz packages)
- 1Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll both cans of the dough; separate into 16 triangles. Cut each triangle lengthwise into 3 narrow triangles.
- 2Place sausage on shortest side of each triangle. Roll up each, starting at shortest side of triangle and rolling to opposite point; place point side down on 2 ungreased cookie sheets.
- 3Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, switching position of cookie sheets halfway through baking. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.
- Refrigerated dough likes to stay chilled, so work in batches, making the first 2 dozen crescent dogs (from one can of dough) before taking the second can out of the refrigerator.
- Give each dough-wrapped dog enough room to rise without bumping into each other.
- Flat cookie sheets are better for baking doughs—the hot oven air will circulate more evenly around the crescent-wrapped dogs, activating their rise and making them an even golden brown.
- Line cookie sheets with cooking parchment paper for easier clean up.
- Create a little condiment bar for serving: set out small bowls of ketchup, chili sauce, your favorite mustard, even a creamy horseradish sauce. They all will complement the smokiness of the mini sausages or hot dogs.
- To Make Ahead: Assemble crescent dogs as directed in recipe. Place crescent dogs on large ungreased cookie sheets. Do Not Bake. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate up to 2 hours. Remove plastic wrap; bake as directed in recipe.
- To Freeze Ahead: Assemble and bake crescent dogs as directed in recipe. Cool 10 minutes. Place baked crescent dogs in single layer in 1-gallon plastic freezer food storage bags; seal. Lay flat in freezer. Freeze up to 1 month. To Reheat, place frozen crescent dogs on large ungreased cookie sheets; loosely cover with foil. Bake at 325°F for 14 to 16 minutes or until heated through.
More About This Recipe
- While these bite-sized snacks are best served as an appetizer, we’ve got an entrée you can to try too! Another name used for mini crescent dogs is “pigs in a blanket.” In the United States, “pigs in a blanket” often refers to hot dogs or sausages wrapped in biscuit or croissant dough and baked. (Fun fact: National Pigs in a Blanket Day is celebrated worldwide on April 24.) In the United Kingdom, pigs in a blanket are small sausages, or chipolatas, wrapped up in bacon. The first written record of pigs in a blanket is in Betty Crocker’s™ Cook Book for Boys and Girls in 1957. Looking to wrap up more appetizers in crescent dough? Browse all of our crescent appetizer recipes for more ideas.
Source: Read Full Article