Today’s light, refreshing easy lunch was inspired by a delicious salad I had at my friend Kelli’s place.
I think she used smoked trout in her salad, but I happened to have a can of sardines in olive oil on hand, and they worked great!
- (1) 5 oz. packet of spring mix or baby arugula
- 12-16 grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium carrot, julienned or shredded
- 1/4 of a small mild/sweet onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 medium orange of a sweet variety (like Navel or Valencia)
- 1.5-2 Tablespoons vinegar (I used red wine today, but distilled white, white wine, or sherry vinegar would all work fine.)
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/4-1/3 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1.5-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small can of sardines in olive oil (My can was 4.375 oz, but they vary a bit.)
- capers in vinegar
Put salad greens, onions, tomatoes, and carrots in a large mixing bowl.
Add freshly cracked pepper to taste, salt (start on the lower end of the measurements), and squeeze in the juice of the orange.
Tip: Rolling the orange with firm pressure right before squeezing will break the pulp and release more juice.
Drizzle in olive oil (start with 1.5 Tablespoons) and vinegar (start with 1.5 Tablespoons) and toss thoroughly.
Adjust seasoning as desired.
Divide the dressed salad mixture over two plates and top each with half of the canned fish and capers to taste.
I like to add a little extra cracked pepper here. 😉
Source: Read Full Article