- Prep 15 min
- Total3 hr15 min
This chicken Parmesan soup is pure comfort food in a bowl, and thanks to your slow cooker, it’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner. With bread crumbs tossed in butter, and shredded Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top, it’ll likely be the only way you eat chicken Parmesan ever again.
cup chopped onion
cup chopped red bell pepper
cloves garlic, finely chopped
package (16 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
can (28 oz) Muir Glen™ organic crushed tomatoes with basil, undrained
carton (32 oz) Progresso™ chicken broth
cup uncooked orzo pasta
cup Progresso™ Italian style panko crispy bread crumbs
cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Fresh chopped basil or Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, if desired
- 1In 5-quart slow cooker, add onion, bell pepper, garlic, chicken, crushed tomatoes, broth, salt and pepper. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours or on High setting 3 to 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- 2Thirty minutes before serving, stir pasta into slow cooker. Cover; cook on High heat setting about 30 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- 3Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- 4Top soup with shredded cheese and toasted bread crumbs before serving. Garnish with chopped basil or parsley.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper for a little kick.
- Orzo pasta works well in this soup because of its small size. Ring pasta or small elbow macaroni would also work as a substitute.
Source: Read Full Article